Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day One

Taking a break from puppies and rainbows (and even adorable pictures of Emerson) today, because I'm sad and I need to get it out.

We found out last night that Jon is being sent to New York for 28 days to assist with recovery efforts after Hurricane Sandy. He works in insurance for large loss/catastrophe, but he normally works from home and when he does travel, it's always within our region and he's always home before I even get off work. But the devastation is great, and the company is asking for all hands on deck. So off he goes.

28 days.

I realize my problems are minimal compared to others. Military families do this all the time. In much worse conditions. For much longer. But since we've been married, I've never been away from Jon more than 3 nights. Though I think it's important to have "you" time and have your own interests and do your own thing, I genuinely enjoy being around him. All the time. He's like my bud, and seeing his face when I come home every night is the most comforting thing I can imagine.

And the worst part is knowing how bad he feels about missing Emerson. He'll be gone for Thanksgiving. He'll probably miss seeing her walk for the first time. And he'll miss kissing her goodnight every night. It would kill me if I were in his shoes, and I know it's destroying him too.

Again, I realize when I compare our situation to others, it's no big deal. But at this moment, right now, I'm sad. I know it's for a good reason, and I know he'll be back soon, but the idea of going home to an empty house for the next 27 nights and having Emerson wonder where "Dada" is.... just breaks my heart.

So I'm going to throw a huge pity party today, and then starting tomorrow I am going to be positive, as well as be grateful for the following things:

1. My amazing support system
2. That we purchased iPhones and can FaceTime every single day
3. That it's 28 days and not 365 days
4. That although he'll miss Thanksgiving, he'll be home for more important events coming up

That's all for now.

5 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sad for you too! Ugh, sucky! But I will help you get through it and thank God for FaceTime!!! He's doing a good thing for people who really need his help, but I can't imagine being away from Shawn that long. You are one strong mama and if you need to just bitch and throw more pity parties, I'll be there because no one should party alone. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! I wish I could fly to OH for Audra relief! Haha. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe I am so sorry hun! You are allowed to be sad! It sounds like you have a really positive outlook on the situation though. It might just be your brave face, but you seem to have a handle on things. If you need anything, anything at all I am not so far away- please ask or send me an email or a tweet to vent. It's okay girl. You won't be alone this 28 days you have an entire blogging community who loves you- be strong for E and come back here and vent your day. I hope these 28 days go by super fast so you all can be under one roof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the separation sucks, but you'll get through it, and just think how awesome it will be when he gets home! Let me know if you need some First Watch pannycakes in your life ;-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh that sucks - you have great perspective but I know what its like to feel that way (and DJ usually only travels for 3-5 days a time for work). I guess it'll make you appreciate him more and YES thank GOD for technology and the fact that you can facetime, that makes it so much easier for DJ when he travels (especially so he can see his baby girl - P, not me). thinking of all three of you!

    ReplyDelete