Wednesday, October 3, 2012

9 months

Dear Emerson Elizabeth,


I'm sorry, but how is it possible that you've been here with us longer than you were in my belly??? That is just crazy talk.


Oh sweet girl, what a fun month this has been! It's amazing to watch you learn every single day, and I can already tell that you are taking after your daddy in many ways. You're so smart. You have the most electric smile. And you LOVE to sleep. All very much characteristics of your dad (I love to sleep too, don't get me wrong, but your dad's side of the family can snooze like no group of people I've ever known). 
The biggest change in you this month is mobility. One day you could only crawl backwards, the next day you were crawling forward so fast I was out of breath trying to keep up with you. And then the next day you decided that you wanted to try your hand at walking, so every time we come to get you out of your crib, you're standing, cruising, and taking steps. You are so thrilled with your new-found independence, and you laugh every time we catch you trying to escape. You can even stand on your own for a little bit, but I'm not in a rush for you to walk if you're not ready, love. I think I need more squishy snuggle time, and I feel like walking will take that away.

Have I ever told you how beautiful you are? Of course I have, I tell you all day, every day. But your eyes, your nose, your cheeks, your hair... gah, they just melt my heart. I just don't understand how I could have a hand in making someone so visually perfect.

You love your mama. Sometimes I feel like a terrible person in the mornings, having to leave you for 8+ hours to go to work, but then I get home and you are thrilled to see me. Every single time. How long will that last? Will you always be so happy to see me? Gosh I hope so.
 
I feel like I say this all the time, but you are SUCH a happy baby. Either we hit the jackpot, or scarier times are ahead (I would like no feedback from moms of 1+ year olds on this, please). But for now, you smile constantly. You love everything and everybody. Which gets particularly awkward when we go to the grocery store and you stick your hand out and yell "DADA!" at random men. This makes mommy uncomfortable. But it does seem like wherever we go, people fawn over you, and you smile that amazing smile that charms even the grumpiest of folks. I hope this stays with you, because I find this to be such an admirable quality that so few people have. That everyone loves you because you are genuine, not because you say the right things, but because you are a breath of fresh air in a world that isn't always so pure.

Your other favorite thing?? Clapping your hands. You've been doing it for awhile, but now it happens all. the. time. Every time someone says "Yay!" you're clapping along like you're in on the celebration. It is too cute. It's also a great way to distract you when we take iPhones, remotes, and sharp objects away from you because they're not toys.
We have a big holiday season coming up, and the next few months are going to be hectic. I just hope I make sure to take the time to truly appreciate you at every stage. You're amazing, and you have brought more joy to our family over the last 9 months than we could have ever imagined. I love you more than words can say.

Love,

Mama


2 comments:

  1. Um. That tutu. I'm dying! She is the cutest, ever! Also, from my experience you won't have to worry much about Emerson turning in to a trouble maker, the second kid will take care of that for you ;)

    ReplyDelete