Thursday, December 30, 2010

Auld Lang Syne

"Should auld acquaintence be forgot, and never brought to mind?"

Um, what's that now??? Does anyone know what the words to the famous song sung on New Year's Eve stand for? Well, I do. Now. Thanks to Wikipedia.

Auld Lang Syne is a poem written by Robert Burns. The song's Scots title may be translated into English literally as "old long since", or more idiomatically, "long long ago","days gone by" or "old times". Consequently "For auld lang syne", as it appears in the first line of the chorus, is loosely translated as "for (the sake of) old times".

So, for the sake of old times, let's recap the high points of the year that was 2010:


Running a half marathon. Jon getting a new job. Me getting a new car. Refinancing our house and saving $200/month (sweet!). Seeing 2 lines on 7 pregnancy tests. Being pregnant. Celebrating a year of marriage. Going to DC with my BFF and having a blast in our nation's capitol. Feeling my son's sweet little baby kicks for 4 weeks. Eating at Las Margaritas every week over the summer. Our weekend in Michigan. Name that Tune. Inside jokes. Splurging on sushi and coffee. New additions and new milestones for the people I love.

Dear 2010: You had the best of times. You had the worst of times. I am not someone who would ever wish my life away, but I am ready to bid you adieu. I am really looking forward to capturing all of the positives that will come our way in 2011.

Buckle up and get set. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment