For years, my dear friend JMP and I have had a slight obsession with the song "The 12 Pains of Christmas." It's hilarious and if you've never had the pleasure of hearing it, do so now.
As I mentioned a few posts back, I have always loved the Christmas season. But with the season comes the cold. Yes, for those of us who live in the northern part of the US, it starts getting REALLY cold around this time of year. As I was struggling to get out of bed this morning, I started thinking about all of the reasons that make me strongly dislike the winter.
12. Your alarm goes off in the morning and it's dark outside.
11. Gray, slushy snow that gets the bottoms of your pants dirty. Yuck.
10. When you open your car door, no matter how hard you've tried to brush off all the snow on your window, the snow drifts in and lands directly on your seat.
9. Car troubles! Your car is cover with salt, your windshield cracks (my Tuesday) and you need 4 new tires because you're sliding all over the place (my Wednesday)
8. All your motivation goes out the window. Go to the gym and suffer in the cold, or go home where it's warm??? No brainer.
7. Speaking of cars.... people forget how to drive when there is a millimeter of precipitation in the air. They either drive way too fast and scare the jeebies out of me, or so slow that they are actually a hazard to the people around them.
6. Dry skin. Chapped lips. Dry hands. Red nose.
5. Every task takes twice as long to complete. Going to the grocery store? We'll see you in 2 hours.
4. Everyone around you is grumpy. Sunshine makes people happier, and lack of sunshine = Grinch-y folks.
3. Your nice warm bed is oh-so-comforting in the morning, but you know the second your piggies touch the cold floor, the chill sets in and it sets the tone for the day.
2. Your desire to get "fresh air" is trumped by the burning in your lungs from breathing in sub-zero temperatures.
1. There will be people around you (skiers, ice fishermen, etc.) who inevitably say "Oh, it's not that bad! It's not even that cold." That is crazy talk and you're a crazy person.
Needless to say, I don't love winter. But since this is a blog about happiness and finding the positives in life, here are the GOOD things about winter (I could only come up with 10):
10. You'll appreciate the renewing feeling of spring and 50 degree weather so much more.
9. When snow is pretty and fluffy and falling from the sky anytime before January 1, it seems kind of magical.
8. Chili, Tortilla Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup... enough said.
7. If you don't feel like going somewhere or doing something, you can use the "weather" as an excuse.
6. Big fluffy sweaters can hide the fact that your diet doesn't start until spring.
5. Chilaxing by a warm, cozy fire.
4 You completely justified in your need to grab that second cup of coffee/hot cocoa.
3. You can throw snowballs and feel like a kid again.
2. Cuddling under a warm blanket with the person of your choice :)
1. You can't have Christmastime without winter!
Stay warm everybody!!