Monday, November 22, 2010

A Weekend Getaway

A few weeks after our loss, Jon and I decided that we needed a "weekend away." A time for the two of us to get away from all of the sadness in our house and spend some time together. Since he had just started a new job and couldn't really take any time off, we had to go within a 4-hour radius of home.

So we decided to go to a University of Michigan football game. All of my friends that are Buckeye fans are groaning right now. But don't hate my husband... he is a very loyal fan, and his excitement over their success makes me happy. He is like a little kid in a candy store when he is watching them play, and I love watching him cheer on a team that he has loved since he was 5 years old.

So we drove up to Ann Arbor on Friday night and stayed at my favorite hotel chain, the Hampton Inn (a HUGE thank you to McNolte for hooking us up!) A quick aside: Hampton Inns are thebomb.com. Huge, comfy, clean beds, really nice bathrooms, and a breakfast buffet... what more could you ask for?!? I am easily pleased....

After checking in, we went out to explore Ann Arbor... yeah, there wasn't much. However, we did get to sample some local cuisine at a cute little sushi place (read this post about my love for sushi). Afterward, we managed to stay awake long enough to go see "Due Date." Hilarious movie, filled with tons of awkward comedy, which I happen to enjoy.

Then on Saturday we went to the big game. I am an awesome wife, and I found some pretty sweet tickets. If you're a college football fan and you've never been to the Big House, you've got to check it out at least once in your life. It is one....big..... stadium. I mean, huge. And it holds 113,000 people! Wowza! Here is a picture of it just as we were walking in:


And here is another from our seats as the game started:


Nice right?

Sadly, U of M lost, but we still had such a great time. Jon was thrilled to be surrounded by so many fellow fans (since he is clearly in the minority at home). The weather was perfect too. I did shed a tear when we walked in, realizing that if we hadn't lost Jack, we wouldn't be at that game. But even though that realization stung, we did thank Jack for giving us such beautiful weather that day.

The weekend also reminded me how lucky I am to have Jon. He is such a wonderful husband and father. He amazes me every single day. He always knows what to say, how to make me feel better, and how to make me feel loved. Not that I need reminded, but when I do get those reminders, it makes me smile.

Though our weekend getaway is over, we only 3 day work week this week. Wahoo! Happy Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment