Last night, I was frustrated with myself because I couldn't remember an important detail. My brain was not functioning properly. I was tired and grouchy, but I couldn't fall asleep until I remembered said important detail. I made a big sigh, and it came out like "Ugh!" Well, somewhere from the depths of my mind, "Ugh!" triggered me a memory from my past.
When I was 9 years old, I went to summer camp. Yep, I was cool even way back then. As a camper, we were required to "sing" little camp diddies on our way to and from our sweet camper destinations. Well, somehow "Ugh!" reminded me of one of those diddies, and I sang it in mind from beginning to end. The whole thing. I kid you not. Even down to the name of my cabin that year (Hernando De Soto, in case you were doubting me).
And then I just starting laughing (well, laughing on the inside, because my husband was already asleep - I swear he can fall asleep with zero effort, and I hate him for that but that's another blog topic). I couldn't believe how easily something so unimportant can be so fresh in my mind, as if it only happened yesterday, not 18 years ago.
So this little trip down memory lane got me thinking about other things in life I remember that have seemingly little effect in my life today. And I thought it would be fun to create a list. So heeeeeeere we go!
Things I Remember But Have No Real Reason To:
1. Camp songs
2. The entire scripts of Forrest Gump and The Princess Bride
3. My 2nd grade teacher's first name (Sally)
4. Every lyric of the N*Sync album 'No Strings Attached' (Oh, stop your judging)
5. What I wore on my first day of college, including jewelry.
6. The song we sang in 6th grade to learn the Spanish alphabet.
7. My first telephone number
8. The movements to "Macarena"
9. Almost all facts learned through watching Pop-Up Video on VH1
10. The exact place I was sitting when I learned Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston had broken up (Hotel Windsor lounge, KW was on my left, BS on my right, it was 1:05am)
Things I Should Remember But Can't For The Life of Me:
1. The framework of the majority of student developmental theories I learned in graduate school
2. Any phone number except my own
3. Pretty much anyone's birthdate. Months? Sure. Days? Fogettaboutit.
4. My 2nd grade teacher's last name.
5. The date of any dentist appointment I have ever made
6. The first time I met most of my friends from college * But since I can't remember the actual moment, I'm going to assume it's because we've always been friends on some cosmic level :)
7. Any mathematical formulas learned in high school
When first reading through these lists, you may pity me. How can someone forget certain details, and remember such trivial information? I don't have an answer for you, Magoo.
But I can say that sometimes it's nice to not have the weight of the world on my shoulders. As I go through the grieving process, I find comfort in the parts of my life that still feel "normal" as I adjust to what my new version of "normal" is without Jack.
Sometimes getting caught up in the mundane, ordinary parts of life can actually be a blessing. I like thinking big, and planning for the future, but reflecting on the past keeps me grounded. And I know I'm not the only one. Besides, who knows when that information may come in handy. Anybody need an idea for a diddy??????