Friday, November 7, 2014

Our "mini-me" daughters

Checking in on the good old blog here. How have you been, internet?

Every day, I see more and more of my girls' personalities come through, and I can't get enough. They are smart, beautiful, happy, and healthy, and that's all a mom can ask for, am I right?

It's funny to see their similarities and differences, and we're starting to see a little bit of us in them. 
Actually, alot.

In fact, we're starting to see that each girl is a "mini-me" version of one of us. 

So what do you get when you take a blue-eyed boy and match him up with a hazel-eyed girl??

 

Short answer: The two sweetest girls in the whole wide world. But let's break it down.

Let's start with our sweet Emerson. She'll be 3 next month (cannot believe THAT) and she is slowly but surely turning into her mother (HAHAHA and also AHHHHH!)

 

She's got my eye color, my hands, and my coordination (or lack thereof). Instead of getting mad, she cries when she gets in trouble (a trick I totally used to pull all.the.time). She tells everyone she's "shy" but she will talk to anyone (another trick I always pulled, because we all know I'm the opposite of shy).

She sings, dances, and acts out every movie we watch. She can say and sing every line of all of her favorite movies, and makes me act them out with her. Ask my sister Annie how often I did that as a child. Let's just say I had a flair for the dramatic and truly thought I was going to be an actress for the first 15 years of my life. The apple did not fall far from the tree, and Emerson is totally an actress-in-training. My family thinks I'm getting my just desserts, but I am secretly so proud, and love acting and singing with her more than I care to admit.

There is nothing she doesn't say. Seriously, she freaks us out sometimes with her communication skills, reasoning and logic. Coincidentally, my mom tells me that I used to freak her out too with my word count when I was growing up. Until I was in 5th grade, I went up a grade level for English and Writing classes. Apparently I had a lot to say back then. Maybe that's why I never shut up now. (Before it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, please know that any verbal skills I may or may not have had were totally cancelled out by my complete lack of athleticism and grace, and also no talent in math or science whatsoever. It's all about balance in life.)

And then there's Jon's mini-me, our sweet Anna.

This is the closest picture I could find to give you an idea of just how much Anna looks like her daddy. I love it so much.


Other than being about a month or two behind in gross motor skills, Anna is meeting and excelling at her milestones just like a regular kiddo. THANK YOU GOD. She is officially walking now (though not 100% of the time) and is so adventurous. She has no fear, and cares not if we think she should stay in one spot. Nope, she's too busy exploring the world. She's also our sparky one. You tell her no, and she'll yell at you and keep doing whatever she was doing, because you're not the boss of her. I love her spark because it shows that she is definitely not affected by everything she went through. It doesn't hold her down; it gives her a sense of determination she may not have had otherwise.

But she's also SO sweet. So so sweet. She twirls her hair when she's tired, cuddly, or overwhelmed. Sometimes I catch her twirling her hair in her sleep and it's so cute I just want to cry.

She's going through a verbal explosion too. Lots of new words and phrases like "Thank you" and "Chee-Os" but there is nothing in the whole world like the sweet sound of her saying "MAMA!" and lighting up when I walk into the room. They validate my existence every single day.

She's also going to be the introvert (the counterpart to Emerson's obvious extroverted personality). Just like her daddy, Anna is quiet, introspective, and curious.

I seriously cannot get enough of these two. 

And it further proves the point that you need to pick a partner that you could see as the future parent to your children. Because, odds are, at least one of your children is going to be just like them, they better not suck as a human being.

I am the luckiest.


post signature

post signature

1 comment: